Sunday, August 28, 2005

Job at the End of August

I’m employed.
Starting Wednesday, I will work at Tobey’s General Store and The Market & Deli. Two stores owned by the same people, and on different days, I’ll work at either one.
It’s some of the best news in weeks, and it gives me both a sense of ease and a sense of dread.
A sense of ease, certainly because it means that I am employed and no one can hold that over my head like something I’ve done wrong; that I will have money (MONEY!) finally and be able to contribute to this house, put away for future bills, and feed my comic addiction; and that I don’t have to take unemployment. (Dave recently asked me to file for unemployment. The first check hasn’t even come, but it’s been a source of great shame to me. I vowed I’d get a job before the first check came, though. And I did. Go with your hunches, folks. It works. I got the job.  It makes me feel…slightly better.)
The sense of dread is that new job feeling. I know basically what to expect. This kitchen in this place isn’t much different from Burkettville. But I don’t know what the nitty-gritty will entail. Are they hardasses about taking a break? Is everything I need right around me so I don’t have to scurry across the store and look unprofessional? Are their customers assholes? All things I will find out sure, I think. I start officially Wednesday. It’s only part-time (but more than 20 hours), and the shifts are a bit of a bugger (5:30am to 1pm and 10:30am to 5pm), but it’s a job, and I’m more than willing to do what it takes to keep it. Yeah, let’s see if I keep saying that in three or four weeks, when I’m by myself in that kitchen in the morning. Ah, stop it. I’ve done this crap before, for two years! I know how it’s done; I know how to get it done. It’ll be just fine. The hours are good, though, because I still have most of the day left. Granted, I’ll be tired, but there’s lots of comic time there, so overall, I’m still feeling pretty good about the 5:30-1 shift.

The lack of updates has been due to my increasing stress and inability to form coherent phrases. Maybe I should just post a picture some days. “I don’t have anything useful to say; here’s a pretty picture, love Erin.” Since I still have not yet decided whether I’d like an audience, it’d basically be like…posting to myself. So, yeah, until I get people reading this and don’t actually care what they think, I’ll just save myself the ‘tarded notion that I even need to post at all.

My friend Philip sent me the newest Harry Potter book. I feel very bad allowing him to send me something that expensive, but I needed to read that damn book. And read it, I did. It took me three days. I could’ve done better than that, but I was reading for comprehension, not speed. Amazing story, let me tell you. Unfortunately, some idiots out in cyberspace think it’s funny to ruin the end, even when they haven’t read the damn thing themselves. How disappointing. But still, it was an amazing turn of events, the ending. I won’t post it on here because I respect that other people haven’t yet read the book and don’t want it ruined for themselves. To think, I waited so long to venture online too, for fear of having the secrets thrust into my face. Stacy, you’re an idiot.
At any rate, I just don’t know how J.K. Rowling does it. She keeps the story so engaging through the entire book, fuck, through the entire series, without ever missing a beat. I love seeing fan art of Harry Potter, especially from Makani. She’s such an amazing artist. I’m completely jealous. But if anyone should do Harry Potter fan art, it’s her. She ought to do an entire animated series! She’s fantastic.

ComeTogether is still pretty empty and echoing, but we’re holding out hope for it. I came up with a few new comic ideas, but I wonder how well they’ll go over with Mea. I still hate this thing of trying not to step on toes. I just want to be able to say something, and not feel like I’m about to be censored. It’s the stupidest little shit I worry about too. I keep trying to keep it all safe and fluffy, and I just don’t want to be safe and fluffy. I really want to break out in this comic and ask the questions that need to be asked…get people thinking about this stuff for once, instead of just sitting idly by and contributing nothing but innocent, harmless shit so the masses won’t be offended. Fuck you, masses! It’s my damn comic. I’m going to be as nasty as I want to be, offend you, and feel good doing it.
I’ve come to a bit better terms with Mea. He’s just trying to put something out there. I think he’s trying to cater to too many people, instead of just letting things ride, but he’s still trying. I have to give him credit for working so hard at it.
I’ve got to do some hi-resolution scans of my art at some point, too. I want to be part of the merchandise scheme. I’m not sure how well my comics and artwork will translate to T-shirts and mouse pads, but I guess I’ll find out. I still want to bounce around the room, thinking of my images being on merchandise.

Peter is waiting on Jon’s read of the synopsis. I feel like such a cop-out with the way I wrote it. I’m all detailed in the beginning, but leave the middle and ending out in outer space and just throw my hands up and say, “I need help.” But I do need help. I’m stuck. It sounds like Jon and I won’t have a face-to-face meeting for a while. I hope I didn’t sound like a big ol’ demanding jerk on the phone. That wasn’t what I was going for. I put on my pleasant voice and face and everything.

The first thing I’m going to do when I get a paycheck is fill my gas tank. And at $2.59 a gallon, that might be the only thing I do when I get a paycheck. Kidding aside though, next is a haircut. Then, I’ll pay off my tab at Burkettville, and pay my parents back. Finally, I will plan a luxuriously fun and expensive spa and shopping day with Julie, my bestest friend in the whole wide world. The more I go along, the more I realize she’s my best friend, too. She’s genuine, kind, and fun to be with. Fuck Alissa, Crystal, Brandy, and Aurora. Those bitches couldn’t keep themselves together with duct tape. There will be a later rant on Alissa too. Alissa and Rob, the symbols of the evils of Man.

And now, to try and post this.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey!

Love you too

Eiluj90

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home