Monday, July 25, 2005

Real music that nobody ever hears

I forgot to write what I was going to say yesterday.
I got a bit distracted by the sunburn and the Tylenol PM. Ahh, sleep. I'm totally going to sleep far too long tomorrow, since Dave has to work. I know it's lazy, but it feels so damn good.

I went to a little family picnic that my Aunt Minnie was holding. She and her family were up from Connecticuit and were camping at Lake St. George Park. So, we all went to see her and eat hamburgers. The park charged us to get in, can you believe that? Just across the lake, there's a free spot called Marshall Shores. As if I'd pay four dollars a person to go swimming in Lake St. George. Get real. That lake is fucking cold.
My family was a bit...embarrassing. This outing seemed to draw out only the most shudder-inducing of the clan: The dropouts, former inmates, bad credit holders, and all around ne'erdowells. I suppose I shouldn't hold myself in such a high regard in comparison to them, but Christ. *rolls eyes*
A greatly hilarious, yet sad moment with my aunt Crystal:
I was sitting in my chair, eating a brownie with Dave, and my Aunt Crystal shows up. (Aunt Crystal is one that shows up asking for money only every decade or so.) She makes her rounds hugging the relatives and comes over, placing her hand on my shoulder. Then she says to me, speaking slowly, carefully, and surely, "I knew you from the minute I saw you, Megan."
I couldn't have been more dumbfounded. She started to say something more and I just said, "My name's Erin." I'm sure I was bit too quick, and a bit too curt about it, but it caught me by surprise to be mistaken for my sister by such a close relative. (We're related by blood. I fear for my future children.)

Minnie's three kids, my cousins, are scary stories waiting to unfold.
Felicia is a typical spoiled brat. She's just turned 18 and has never, ever held a job because her mother gave her the child support checks her father sent. Now she's an adult and the money can't come from Daddy's pocket anymore, so Felicia has to get a job. Odds are she's dragging her ass on that task.
Robbie ate paint chips as a kid. Minnie doesn't know for sure, but she swears that he had lead poisoning. From the time he was a toddler, she's treated him as a special needs kid, and I don't think he ever was. He's 14 now and acts a little slow and immature, but I don't know the whole story.
Kyle went swimming with me while his brother went off to play with another cousin. Little Kyle, all of 10 or 11 years old, told me that the kids at school don't like him, and call him ugly and an "ogre." I imagine the ogre comment comes from the movie Shrek. Too bad little kids still can't seem to be taught that ugliness is on the inside, not the outside. I assured him that I went through that too, but people really liked me after they took a minute and learned that I'm a cool person all around. He said he thinks he wants to be a cook. I wish I could be around to nuture that dream for him and help him through this rough spot in his adolescence, but I fear he's doomed with Minnie, who obviously doesn't see it herself.

I wanted out of there ASAP. As soon as I was done swimming, Dave and I headed out, and I became increasingly thankful for my move to Albion.
We stopped at a local "indoor flea market" (read: building where crap most people can't give away is sold) that one of Dave's relatives apparently owns called "The Bargain Bin." It was nice, as far as those places go. The guy hardly ever opens his doors, and he has some of the best stuff I've seen. Really rare, really well kept, really oddball, his stuff was cool, and relatively well priced. I was, of course, shopping for records. Dave picks on me about it being outdated technology, but there's something great about records to me. My parents had quite a collection that they foolishly gave away, and I've been trying to buy it back little by little as I find the titles, as well as adding some of my favorites.
My most prized finds are ABBA records. I've found two, so far (Super Trouper and Arrival), and I cherish them dearly. It's like finding an ancient relic to me. I keep reading these books on ABBA and finding out how the songs and records and covers were made, and I want to own a piece of that, and see what it was like. The record I found on our trip was Super Trouper, and it is fantastic. It has a few dings on Side 1, but they're songs I've heard on CD, so I'm not too heartbroken. The songs "Andante, Andante", "Happy New Year", and "Me and I" were ones I'd never heard. Well, I'd heard Me and I, but it was a live version on a CD. The record version isn't anywhere near as good, but it's a great song all the same. The line "Sometimes I have toyed with the ideas that I had got from Good Ol' Dr. Freud" was much clearer on the record. I just can't follow that line in the live version. Abba is an amazing group. I'm constantly reminded just how talented they are when I listen to their music. They were real musicians, despite the fame in disco.
Other records I purchased were of Paul Simon, Hall and Oates, several Foreigner records, America, and a few Seals and Crofts. I love Seals and Crofts but their stuff after '76 sounds really...bleah. The Greatest Hits is still seeming to be so. The America record is...incredible. I don't really know anything about this band, beyond the fact that they sang "Horse with no Name" and the soundtrack to "The Last Unicorn". But their music is gorgeous. There aren't enough adjectives for how good they are! I love their sound and their approach. The gentle acoustic and mature whine of these once upon a time teens is beyond words to me. This is music, beautiful, well-done music. I don't care if it's from the 70's or the middle ages, it's fucking fantastic. I'm hoping my other Seals and Crofts records will be as good. The songs on their Greatest Hits album can't be their only good songs.
Dave ended up getting "Mike Tyson's Punch Out!" and explained to me the story behind it, and his excitement for it. Apparently, after Mike Tyson's ear-chewing fiasco, they renamed the game Super Punch Out or just Punch Out and Mike Tyson as the big boss was replaced by a white man (whose name Dave can't remember). Mike Tyson...Taken out of his own game. Wowza. If you learn anything in life, it is this: Biting people is bad publicity. I love learning little back-stories like that...it's like finding out a secret.


My sunburn is a bit better today, but the sun burns! Aaagh. Dave took me around to pass out my resume, and the sun hurt me so bad while I was riding in the car. Ouch. I'm staying inside as much as possible tomorrow.
I am, however, going to this place in Albion, the Lovejoy Health Center to pass in an application. If I got that job, that would be fucking awesome, but again, I can't hold my breath for anything.
As I was in another place filling out an application, I heard a woman come in and ask about the same position as the one I was applying for. She sounded so confident and like such a shoe-in for the job, I almost didn't want to finish the application. I'm at a point where it's like, "Why even bother? No one's going to call me anyway." But I continue on. I just wish I knew how better to conduct myself and sell myself. I was so good at that in the classroom. What happened to me?
I can't forget, though, that I had a hard time finding my job at Burkettville (like that's some great shakes). But McDonald's was my last resort when I finally got that job, and I hated it with every breath in me...so six months later, when Burkettville actually called me and wanted me to work for them, I jumped at the chance, and haven't regretted it once. It was tedious at times, but in comparison to McDonald's, it was the promised land. I wish I could find a job that I could appreciate as much as that. I feel like I'm being too picky about the whole thing...but I've been applying for nearly everything except chain-stores. I will never again wear a uniform.

In thinking about real musicians like ABBA, America, Seals and Crofts, and Simon and Garfunkel, I can't help but wonder where today's musicians would be back then. Lip-synching at public events, sounding JUST like one another, and having their only talent be to gyrate and move lips on command. Would they still be as popular? I wonder where music is headed, too, when we idolize groups like the Black Eyed Peas and singers like Jessica and Ashlee Simpson and Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera. I think they should all only be allowed 15 minutes. That's like 3 songs a piece. Then I'd never have to hear their asses again. God, I hate today's music. But that's a rant for another day, I think. I'm feeling a little in-between on everything.

I'm almost hoping that Ken comes to visit me on Wednesday. I'd love to see him and show him a good time, but it would mean that he's fighting with Alissa, and I don't really want that to happen. I'll call him and wish him Happy Birthday and see what happens. It sounds like Alissa is trying to do SOMETHING for him, so I mean, that's good. She's still an ungrateful bitch, but...that's something. I'll be waiting.

My head's getting foggy. I think it's time for a break. Maybe a nap too. Almost bedtime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home